flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

ATI goes to plan B

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:13 pm

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/03/30/ ... ion-outed/

:o :o :o

TSMC = Epic Fail.

This cannot be good news for ATI, or, really, anyone. I was hoping to hold out for Northern Islands. Southern Islands sound more like a climate I'm interested in, but as a GPU, it doesn't sound as nice as Northern Islands.

:cry:

TSMC, you dogs.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Re: ATI goes to plan B

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:17 pm

I don't really see how birth control is gonna help with this...
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

khands
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:03 pm

I think the most interesting development out of all of this may be that we could see 3 AMD generations in under two years.

Edit: Didn't really need to quote the main post.
X __________________________

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:09 pm

My next GPU was going to be around the time NI comes out. It's a shame to think I might not be getting near what I was hoping for in Q1 2011. :(

khands
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:16 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:
My next GPU was going to be around the time NI comes out. It's a shame to think I might not be getting near what I was hoping for in Q1 2011. :(

My hope is that they release it anyways, have the 2010 Q3/4 version be a revamp of the 5000 series (maybe high end cards only) and release the Northern Islands cards in 2011 Q1/2 entirely on GF's 28nm process.
X __________________________

TaBoVilla
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:09 pm

Just read the piece, interesting stuff. I've always thought that GF would be ready for 28 nm production alot earlier and become a viable option over TSMC for next generation GPUs.

The real question for me is what are nvidia's plans. There are no reasons why GF would not take them as customers, and I dont know the current state of UMC's bussiness, I know they are 2nd or so, but dont know on which process node they are currently and performance. This is an interesting piece I read the other day on BSN:

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/20 ... yield.aspx

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:41 pm

lol, Howitzer vs a pen knife.

Oh Charlie.
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Now we can start counting the months for how late/behind ATI is with their next gen part. If they even do a next gen part.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:22 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
If they even do a next gen part.

That's a good point. Maybe the 5000 series is the last time they'll ever produce a new card. That's a very realistic and sensible threat, and the reasons you perceive it as so are well rooted in objective reality and not on fanboyish whimsy.

:roll:
Krogoth wrote:

Chun¢
Gerbil XP

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:25 pm

6 month head start blah blah.
TSMC seems like they should get their game together...

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:46 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
Now we can start counting the months for how late/behind ATI is with their next gen part. If they even do a next gen part.

Well, it sounds like AMD is making a course correction in order not to be late. Did you RTFA? As Kyle Bennet says, reading is fundamental.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:11 pm

flip-mode wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:

Well, it sounds like AMD is making a course correction in order not to be late. Did you RTFA? As Kyle Bennet says, reading is fundamental.

Yep their course correction is to be late with their new architecture. So what will it be 12 moths late, 24, more?
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 pm

But then NV would lose its 'most delayed GPU' crown. Wouldn't want that would you?
Last edited by MadManOriginal on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:57 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
flip-mode wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:

Yep their course correction is to be late with their new architecture. So what will it be 12 moths late, 24, more?

Apparently someone failed reading comprehension in grade school.

Their course correction was to implement their backup plan, which is to use a less complex part that would be manufacturable on 40nm, but incorporate some of the technologies from NI.

I bet nvidia was wishing they had a backup plan like that several times during the development of Fermi, and maybe even still do.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

TaBoVilla
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:49 am

PRIME1 wrote:
flip-mode wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:

Honestly I sometimes think PRIME1 actually writes this stuff in a funny-fanboy-like way in order to amuse us all and poke some fun at ATI, because if he is serious, it makes no sense at all. :D

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:52 am

TaBoVilla wrote:
I sometimes think PRIME1 actually writes this stuff in a funny-fanboy-like way in order to amuse us all and poke some fun at ATI, because if he is serious, it makes no sense at all. :D

He does. In the past, I attempted to have reality-based, rational conversations with him and, as far as I can gather, he just has no taste for that.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:23 pm

I guess you can't blame him too much. I've seen it before with fanboys, they go into lockdown mode when their team is not doing well. It also doesn't help when a counterpart like FP gets to have a field day with it either.

Otherwise they wouldn't be fanboys eh?
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:33 pm

Can we do without the flaming, guys? There's been more than enough of that to go around.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:38 pm

I don't see this as horrible news for AMD. If anything, it's a bad sign of even worse things to come for NVidia. AMD has a viable plan B. They have learned to adapt to the 40NN problems and make the best of the situation with an elegant solution that's superior to the current generation.

NVidia is using brute force tactics (overvolting and HUGE heatsinks) because they have no other way of compensating for the 40NM issues.

I'd much rather be the team that has the solution built into the silicon than the team that straps on a voltage/binning band-aid.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:58 am

PRIME1 wrote:
flip-mode wrote:

They're going to be late in order not to be late? This statement is so nonsensical it gets the constipated asian smiley! :x
Krogoth wrote:

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:59 am

grantmeaname wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:
flip-mode wrote:

They're going to be late in order not to be late? This statement is so nonsensical it gets the constipated asian smiley! :x

+1 for constipated asian smiley. Now we're all left wondering where Prime1 will get his graphics cards.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:16 am

Looks like Charlie was correct...

From the short bread...

http://vr-zone.com/articles/globalfound ... /8909.html

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:01 pm