Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Alex Roid-riguez

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:41 pm

So is anybody else watching SportsCenter with the huge A-Rod/Peter Gammons interview? Does anybody really believer he quit in 2003 after a neck injury and that he's clean today? His numbers - and he said this himself - don't really vary all that heavily from one year to the next. It's not like Bonds where there was a sudden, latent power deep within him.

I'm dubious. I'm also curious who's next.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Alex Roid-riguez

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:45 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
So is anybody else watching SportsCenter with the huge A-Rod/Peter Gammons interview? Does anybody really believer he quit in 2003 after a neck injury and that he's clean today? His numbers - and he said this himself - don't really vary all that heavily from one year to the next. It's not like Bonds where there was a sudden, latent power deep within him.

I'm dubious. I'm also curious who's next.

huh?

dont all pro athletes take steroids?
yes. yes they do.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:49 pm

I actually doubt that, unless you're willing to put a ton of college players in that, as well - they dream of being pro, after all. I also think your preferred sport (which I'm pretty sure is college football) has a higher percentage of players on the juice than baseball. Selig is so incredibly bad at brand management and damage control, though, that he couldn't successfully argue that his hair is just a bad rug, let alone something a little less obvious.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

ifittakesforever
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:30 pm

I think two things. First, the MLB players association royally screwed up here. They could have had this whole 104 name report destroyed a couple months after it came out back in 2003, or so I've read. Basically, the players association failed to do their one responsibility, protect the union and the players. Now it's yet another black eye for baseball. I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing, but you would think that they would have wanted it gone as fast as they could, not wait around for the Feds to seize it.

Secondly, if A-Rod's name is going to be leaked from this "sealed" report of 104 names, then the rest of them should be revealed also. Let's get everything out in the open and deal with it so we can finally get on with life after the steroid era. No matter what his accomplishments as commissioner, Bud Selig needs to be tarred and feathered for his absolute lack of leadership during this whole mess.
Hey, anyone can have a bad century! 1907 & 1908 World Champions.
AC 00 00 00 - BELIEVE
My two favorite football teams: Ohio State and whoever plays Michigan!

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:40 pm

danny e. wrote:
dont all pro athletes take steroids?
yes. yes they do.

I don't think so, no.
So far as I recall there isn't much instances of players caught from the NBA, or NHL for steroid use. Granted for both most times it's only players that participate in the Olympics that are tested, but the only NHL player I can think to have been caught was Bryan Berard who claimed it was an accidental occurrence while recovering from injury or some such. I don't follow the NBA much, but I can't recall any steroid instances off the top of my head.

If they all did more instances would come to mind. It seems football, and baseball are the sports particularly effected by this.

chasscF1
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:41 pm

ifittakesforever wrote:
I think two things. First, the MLB players association royally screwed up here. They could have had this whole 104 name report destroyed a couple months after it came out back in 2003, or so I've read. Basically, the players association failed to do their one responsibility, protect the union and the players. Now it's yet another black eye for baseball. I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing, but you would think that they would have wanted it gone as fast as they could, not wait around for the Feds to seize it.

Secondly, if A-Rod's name is going to be leaked from this "sealed" report of 104 names, then the rest of them should be revealed also. Let's get everything out in the open and deal with it so we can finally get on with life after the steroid era. No matter what his accomplishments as commissioner, Bud Selig needs to be tarred and feathered for his absolute lack of leadership during this whole mess.

No one seems to be caring that a crime was committed by someone in the government. These were anonymous tests that were seized by the government for the Barry Bonds case. Only about 10 players that were tested are part of the case, and A-rod is not among them. The legality of seizing the tests is in question right now and will most likely be thrown out for Bond's trial. I don't see why because someone broke the law and leaked information, everyone else should have tests that they though would be anonymous exposed. But I agree that Bud Selig is an idiot and allowed the players union to run things and he is most responsible for the steroid era. How that man continues to pull in 8 figures a year is beyond me.
Ahhhhhhh!

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:53 pm

It's to bad congress has work to do or they could bringing him in and have a talk like they did with others a few years back.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:40 pm

chasscF1 wrote:
ifittakesforever wrote:

No one seems to be caring that a crime was committed by someone in the government. These were anonymous tests that were seized by the government for the Barry Bonds case. Only about 10 players that were tested are part of the case, and A-rod is not among them. The legality of seizing the tests is in question right now and will most likely be thrown out for Bond's trial. I don't see why because someone broke the law and leaked information, everyone else should have tests that they though would be anonymous exposed. But I agree that Bud Selig is an idiot and allowed the players union to run things and he is most responsible for the steroid era. How that man continues to pull in 8 figures a year is beyond me.

This stuff should not have come out. The list should have been destroyed long ago. That confidential stuff is getting leaked, and leaked preferentially, is not cool at all. I would have strongly preferred that any leak included all 104 players in the first place. I'd prefer that one person not bear the whole weight of this revelation. It's far more objectionable that one person is singled out for this than all players being revealed, even though more confidential violations aren't necessarily the answer.

Turkina
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:49 am

Personally I dont think its a big surprise - a player who played during the "Steroid Era" took steroids. We knew that use of these substances was widespread during that time period. A-Rod came out and admitted what he did, and put a timeframe on it that we don't have any evidence to dispute.
I also hate how a lot of these articles have "statistical comparisons" as a sidebar, as if that constitutes some kind of proof or telltale sign.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:52 am

what surprises me is that he, like Raffy Palmeiro, was so adamant that not only did he not take anything, but he didn't need to. I figured he'd have learned his lesson.

In my rush to schadenfreude, though, I did miss the important point that this is confidential stuff being leaked by someone within the government. That's pretty bad news.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:58 am

I blame the fans. Many of the most famous roid stars became heroes to the fans.

So why not use it?

Unless the broadcasters, advertisers or fans take a stand, there is no huge incentive to stop all sorts of bad behavior.

I started losing my love for baseball in the early 90's and the strike in 94 killed whatever was left. So the whole "roid" issue was merely icing on the cake for me.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:00 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I did miss the important point that this is confidential stuff being leaked by someone within the government. That's pretty bad news.

Government leaks are probably more common than roid use is in sports. I approve of such leaks as sometimes it's the only way to fix something (such as Watergate).

Kevin
Administrator

Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:21 pm

Let's keep the R&P out of this please.

Kevin

ifittakesforever
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:36 pm

PRIME1 wrote:

So why not use it?

Unless the broadcasters, advertisers or fans take a stand, there is no huge incentive to stop all sorts of bad behavior.

I started losing my love for baseball in the early 90's and the strike in 94 killed whatever was left. So the whole "roid" issue was merely icing on the cake for me.

Blame the fans? That is ridiculous beyond all belief. Does this view apply solely to baseball or also to the NFL? It still irritates me to no end that Shawn Merriman gets suspended for a quarter of a season for steroid use and is still a celebrated player with a commercial contract, yet the baseball steroid users are branded outcasts and villified.

Anyways, the only way to combat PED use in baseball is strong leadership from the commissioner and an effective testing and penalty policy, not blaming the fans.

AC 00 00 00 - BELIEVE

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:47 pm

In a way I can almost kinda sorta see what Prime1 is saying - the fans came back in droves when Andro McGwire and Testosterone Sosa were slugging it out for the single-season homerun mark. Allegedly, Bonds saw what they were up to and said "no way, I'll top it all" and it became a large dick-measuring contenst. Which is amusing given the shrinky-dink associated with steroids.

At the same time, though, I think it's irresponsible to say "oh, they broke the rules and now I will too". It'd have been better if players said "oh, they broke the rules and the union is wrong for opposing enforcement".

But that makes you unpopular with your teammates.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:07 pm

ifittakesforever wrote:
Blame the fans? That is ridiculous beyond all belief. Does this view apply solely to baseball or also to the NFL? It still irritates me to no end that Shawn Merriman gets suspended for a quarter of a season for steroid use and is still a celebrated player with a commercial contract, yet the baseball steroid users are branded outcasts and villified.

Anyways, the only way to combat PED use in baseball is strong leadership from the commissioner and an effective testing and penalty policy, not blaming the fans.

Shawn Merriman's star has most certainly diminished. Additionally you fail to grasp the impact of him actually being sentenced and caught by the organization. People simply don't care when it seems like the sporting organization is doing the work. They get pissed when the commissioner completely fails all over himself and the congress gets involved.

I do blame the fans for some of it. To be honest I don't think many people would care if the usage was actually out in the open. People like home runs. Baseball was on the death bench till all the records started to look weak... out of nowhere at that. Also, just look at how well received when a star admits to their usage. Bonds is only hated because of his attitude and his constant denial of usage. If he had admitted to it people would still call for the record back but you can bet your ass he'd have a job in the MLB right now.

ifittakesforever
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:42 pm

Skrying wrote:
ifittakesforever wrote:

Shawn Merriman's star has most certainly diminished. Additionally you fail to grasp the impact of him actually being sentenced and caught by the organization. People simply don't care when it seems like the sporting organization is doing the work. They get pissed when the commissioner completely fails all over himself and the congress gets involved.

I do blame the fans for some of it. To be honest I don't think many people would care if the usage was actually out in the open. People like home runs. Baseball was on the death bench till all the records started to look weak... out of nowhere at that. Also, just look at how well received when a star admits to their usage. Bonds is only hated because of his attitude and his constant denial of usage. If he had admitted to it people would still call for the record back but you can bet your ass he'd have a job in the MLB right now.

Merriman's star only diminished because he got hurt this year. His Nike commercial was all over tv during and after his suspension. There was no impact to him getting caught. Neither was there any impact to Rodney Harrison getting caught and suspended. Steroids have been much more prevalent in the NFL, yet no one is blaming their fans for anything.

It wasn't just steroid use that created the offensive monster of the late 90's. Look at the size of stadiums that opened and closed during that time. Baseball in Colorado was like watching an Arena football game. The Astrodome closed, old Busch Stadium brought in the fences, Camden Yards is cozier, Arlington is smaller, even Detroit brought in their fences after their first year or two of Comerica Park.

Another point, don't include Sosa in this mess until you can show me proof or a link that he was using something. There has been no link to his use of anything. Everybody just assumes that since he was hitting home runs at the same time as McGwire, that he was obviously juiced. If you actually watched him over his career, his work with Jeff Pentland and changing in hitting philosophy in order to hit to right field more had more to due with his jump in production. Look at his age during that time, too. It wasn't a chemically induced late career surge, it was during the prime of his career. Okay, rant over.

AC 00 00 00 - BELIEVE

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:53 pm

ifittakesforever wrote:
Another point, don't include Sosa in this mess until you can show me proof or a link that he was using something. There has been no link to his use of anything. Everybody just assumes that since he was hitting home runs at the same time as McGwire, that he was obviously juiced. If you actually watched him over his career, his work with Jeff Pentland and changing in hitting philosophy in order to hit to right field more had more to due with his jump in production. Look at his age during that time, too. It wasn't a chemically induced late career surge, it was during the prime of his career. Okay, rant over.

Dude, if a Cardinals fan like me can come to grips with McGwire being on the juice, you can certainly wake yourself up to Slammy Sammy Sosa.

year - HR - Age
1993 - 25 - 24
1994 - 25 - 25
1995 - 36 - 26
1996 - 40 - 27
1997 - 36 - 28
1998 - 66 - 29
1999 - 63 - 30
2000 - 50 - 31
2001 - 64 - 32

source

There is *no* other explanation on Sosa. He went from a solid 25-40HR hitter to 50-60+ overnight?

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:56 pm

ifittakesforever wrote:

Blame the fans? That is ridiculous beyond all belief. Does this view apply solely to baseball or also to the NFL? .

Yes, yes it does. It applies to any sport.

derFunkenstein wrote:
the fans came back in droves when Andro McGwire and Testosterone Sosa were slugging it out for the single-season homerun mark. Allegedly, Bonds saw what they were up to and said "no way, I'll top it all" and it became a large dick-measuring contenst. Which is amusing given the shrinky-dink associated with steroids.

Exactly, I remember that they were credited as "saving Baseball" after the 94 strike.

ifittakesforever wrote:

Another point, don't include Sosa in this mess until you can show me proof or a link that he was using something.

See, if the fans don't care (or claim it's not true for their team or favorite player). Why should it stop?

Just slap an asterisk on the records and move on.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:14 pm

More steroid goodness (might as well keep it in one thread): Miguel Tejada indicted for lying to Congress. It's like Barry Bonds all over again - indictments for lying, not using steroids.

ifittakesforever
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:17 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
ifittakesforever wrote:

Dude, if a Cardinals fan like me can come to grips with McGwire being on the juice, you can certainly wake yourself up to Slammy Sammy Sosa.

year - HR - Age
1993 - 25 - 24
1994 - 25 - 25
1995 - 36 - 26
1996 - 40 - 27
1997 - 36 - 28
1998 - 66 - 29
1999 - 63 - 30
2000 - 50 - 31
2001 - 64 - 32

source

There is *no* other explanation on Sosa. He went from a solid 25-40HR hitter to 50-60+ overnight?

He hit 33 in '93, not 25. All I'm asking for is the smoking gun, show me some evidence or a link? There was nothing linking him in Canseco's book and nothing in the Mitchell report. There is just "a hunch" because it happened during the same time as McGwire and then Bonds. The important thing that you leave out of the above stats is his batting average. He did become a more complete hitter and learned it was okay to hit to right field. His walk total increased and gradually his strikeouts went down. His stance changed, his hand and arm position changed along with his entering what is regarded as the prime years for any hitter. Could he have been on something? Sure, but there has been nothing stronger than supposition linking Sosa to PED use.

AC 00 00 00 - BELIEVE

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:19 pm

suddenly Baseball Reference won't load for me, but I'll take your word for it. I probably just read the wrong line since I wrote that he hit 25 2 years in a row. But still, do you believe in Santa Claus, too? I mean, all you have to go on is what your parents and other kids tell you.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:24 pm

PRIME1 wrote:

So why not use it?

I guess you don't care much for personal responsibility, huh?
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:26 pm

TheEmrys, that's unfair. I think he's rightfully pointing out that pro athletes will do anything to get ahead. I don't think he's advocating it, I think he's looking at it from their point of view.

Of course, I've stuck up for people before and gotten burned (like LovermanOwens or whatever that homewrecker's name was), so I could be wrong here, too. :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:27 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3896888

It's refreshing to see that Marvin Miller is still as **** crazy as always.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:30 pm

ifittakesforever wrote:
Merriman's star only diminished because he got hurt this year. His Nike commercial was all over tv during and after his suspension. There was no impact to him getting caught. Neither was there any impact to Rodney Harrison getting caught and suspended. Steroids have been much more prevalent in the NFL, yet no one is blaming their fans for anything.

It wasn't just steroid use that created the offensive monster of the late 90's. Look at the size of stadiums that opened and closed during that time. Baseball in Colorado was like watching an Arena football game. The Astrodome closed, old Busch Stadium brought in the fences, Camden Yards is cozier, Arlington is smaller, even Detroit brought in their fences after their first year or two of Comerica Park.

You completely ignored the part about admitting your use and being caught by the sports organization you work for. Like I said, chances are very high Bonds would still be playing if he simply admitted to his wrong doing. The charges all baseball players are facing now is for lying, not using. Simply put fans, OF ALL SPORTS, don't care that much if you're caught using. It is your reaction after that. That is why A-Rod is going to get out of this situation seen as an honest guy. Chances are that some years down the line he'll still get on the Hall of Fame. If McGwire would have been more open to what he used then he too could at least enjoy a better image than he does now.

As for the explosion in offense, that only caught on because something major, the home run race, that the general public could catch on to. People who never watched baseball were watching games in which Sosa or McGwire.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:35 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/21/sport ... html?fta=y

The Department of Justice unsealed two affidavits by a federal agent concerning people involved with performance-enhancing drugs in baseball, identifying seven more current or former major and minor league players, including the home run slugger Sammy Sosa, who may have used the drugs.

Seems he was using at least amphetamines, although I would bet good money roids as well. More and more info keeps pouring out, so I'm sure we have not heard the end of this.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:36 pm

TheEmrys wrote:

I guess you don't care much for personal responsibility, huh?

Who are you suggesting should be "personally resposible"?

Captain Ned wrote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3896888

It's refreshing to see that Marvin Miller is still as bat-**** crazy as always.

"But Miller, the 91-year-old Players Association icon, said union leaders are also now paying for their biggest mistake -- the decision to bow to public and Congressional pressure and enter into an agreement with Major League Baseball to institute mandatory testing in 2004."

So is he saying it was a mistake to test players for illegal substances? He also seems to think that trying to prevent cheating is very "anti-union".

"bat-**** crazy" may be an understatement.
Last edited by PRIME1 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheEmrys

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:38 pm

ifittakesforever wrote:

I am not saying that Sosa was ever on PED's, but you have some facts wrong.

Age 25-28 seasons are a player's prime. Age 29 is the begining of decline.
A change in hitting to the opposite field does not yield more power. Hitting to the opposite field yields less power.
His hitting philosophy didn't change one bit. His strikeout rate stayed static. He improved his walk rate from ~6% to 10% in 1998, but this was from an increase in IBB's.

TheEmrys

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:45 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
TheEmrys, that's unfair. I think he's rightfully pointing out that pro athletes will do anything to get ahead. I don't think he's advocating it, I think he's looking at it from their point of view.

Of course, I've stuck up for people before and gotten burned (like LovermanOwens or whatever that homewrecker's name was), so I could be wrong here, too. :lol:

Not at all. If the players are not responsible for their actions, who is? The individuals who were greedy (for money, records, fame, or whatever) and could not be content with their natural abilities.

I am not saying that there is not pressure to perfrom. There is. This undeniable. However, the part where I have issues is to shift the blame to the fans, the system, the agents, the trainers, or whoever. Every athelete at that level has the chance to say "no." I have more respect for the ones who did. I have less respect for those who did not.

Ultimate reponsibility for the indivdual athelete's problem still lies with the individual athelete.