Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

balzi
Gerbil XP

Re: GPU Performance & Price (AMD v Nvidia)

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:25 am

Hi Danny.e

great work here..
I came into this forum to ask about buying a 4770 vs 4670 vs 4850.
I got some seriously good information from here, even though it seems to disagree with a few things I've found on other sites - like the 4670 performing so poorly vs 38xx series.
still, its the most helpful thing I've found in my searching.

Can I ask why you haven't included the 4770?

edit:
nevermind
I found this in the first post
Q: Why is card "X" not listed?
A: Because I'm lazy

maybe you can remember the 4770 on the next lazyless day you have. :-?
Japanese officer from Goons: "Honourable English Soldier - have unexplectedly run out of ammunition, could please borrow two boxes?"
Bloodnok: "What? what? .. No!!! You haven't returned our lawn-mower yet!?!"

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:59 pm

Not just that. The 4770 is still relatively hard to find (last time I looked anyway), it's not quite an ubiquitous card yet.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

balzi
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:31 pm

morphine wrote:
Not just that. The 4770 is still relatively hard to find (last time I looked anyway), it's not quite an ubiquitous card yet.

that's interesting, normally that's the case over here.. our range typically sucks... for example, I was amazed when the new Athlon II X2 CPUs came out a mere 1-2 months after release.

I have 2-3 options for the 4770 from one supplier - http://www.cpl.net.au
but then I haven't actually tried to order one :-?

edit: just checked availability at a different store www.scorptec.com.au.. sure enough.. two out of four 4770 say no stock until end of July. hmm?
Japanese officer from Goons: "Honourable English Soldier - have unexplectedly run out of ammunition, could please borrow two boxes?"
Bloodnok: "What? what? .. No!!! You haven't returned our lawn-mower yet!?!"

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:05 pm

Alright.. I've finally updated the scores and recalculated some of the older scores based on the new games.
However, this needs more explanation because almost the exact opposite thing happened last time I did this.

Last time I recalced the Nvidia side was hurt by the game Race Driver: GRID because they sucked at that game.
With the recalc, the Nvidia scores all jumped quite a bit (down to the 260).

This time there is another odd-ball game that may make the scores seem incorrect.
That game is HAWK where the dual-processor boards performed very well compared to the single processor boards.
That game caused the GTX 295, HD 4870x2 and HD 4850x2 all to jump up quite a bit.

For reference, here are the old scores: (remember the Nvidia side jumped mostly because of the new games.. thus eliminating their penalty for sucking at GRID).

GTX 295:......280.45
GTX 285:......205.38
GTX 275:......200.21
GX2:...........194.92
GTX 280:......184.28
GTX 260:......155.82

HD 4870 X2:.....256.69
HD 4850 X2:.....217.76

Unfortunatelly when you only have 6 games to calculate the overall performance, large games differences in a single game can make a big difference in the overall score.
The 5870 beats the 4870x2 almost all the time but then one game turns everything around because of the large gap in that one game.
Last edited by danny e. on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

MrJP
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:04 am

danny e. wrote:
Unfortunatelly when you only have 6 games to calculate the overall performance, large games in a single game can make a big difference in the overall score.
The 5870 beats the 4870x2 almost all the time but then one game turns everything around because of the large gap in that one game.

Perhaps the answer to this is to move away from simple means, kind of like TR do for FRAPS results. Calculate the performance rankings for each game separately, then try using either just the median score from all the games for each card, or alternatively remove the high & low outliers before averaging. This might give a better feel for the typical relative performance of the different cards. Of course adding in more benchmarks as suggested in your other thread is likely to help smooth things out as well.
i7-6700K ~ Asus Z170I Pro Gaming ~ 16GB Corsair DDR4-2400 ~ Radeon R9 Nano
Noctua NHU9S ~ Corsair Obsidian 250D ~ Corsair RM650X ~ Crucial MX100 512GB
SMSL M3 ~ Sennheiser HD555 ~ Logitech G500S/G910/G29 ~ LG 34UC79G

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:06 am

We need some HD5800 series cards on this list! :D

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:27 am

StuG wrote:
We need some HD5800 series cards on this list! :D

there are already. Just no 57xx cards on it yet.

I also had the 57xx numbers calculated but then noticed some large jumps in the GTX 260 scores since previous tests and trying to figure that out.
If I put the new GTX 260 scores in with the HD 57xx scores it would make the GTX 260 jump above the HD 4890 OC. However, that would mean it would also jump above the GTX 280 which wouldn't make a lot of sense.

This is where keeping the list accurate is difficult.

I suppose I can put the HD 57xx cards in because they are done.. but some of the NVidia cards might move up again slightly.
------------
Alright. Part of it is that my GTX260 is the original, I think. The other part may be the new drivers used with the GTX 260 but not with the 285.
So, for now I'm leaving the GTX 260 alone.
The HD 57xx cards were added but only added them -- didnt update anything else this time.

khands
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:14 pm

They used a heavily OC'd 260 in this case if I recall the article correctly.
X __________________________

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks again Danny for another awesome list of price/performance comparisons! Only one request :), i know its a bit taxing on you... Could we get an update on the pricing and how that effects the price/performance scores. Prices have changed quite a bit in a month. If i'm catching you right as your doing it then I apologize :oops: , no means to rush.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

ADRENALIN
Gerbil In Training

Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:55 pm

thanks a lot for this chart :) i like to update my card when i can get ~150% of the performance of my current one for the same price.
so looks like if i get a deal on a gtx275 it will be over 2x the performance :D

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:37 pm

*twiddles thumbs while waiting for nVidia*

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:48 am

danny e. wrote:
*snip*
Performance/Price are caculated from the price on newegg as of (10/3/2009). (mail in rebates do not help the price)
----------------------

CARD.................. US dollar
HD 5870.................380
HD 5850.................260

This is CRAZY and proof of how bad Nvidia is hurting themselves.
Look at those prices as of 10/3/2009.. compared to current prices:

5870 = $405 --> + $25
5850 = $315 --> + $55

Almost 6 months later and the cards are more expensive!
AMD has got to be feeling good about their position.

In related news, I'll update the chart this weekend... finally have a weekend where I should have some free time.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:00 am

With no competition, there's little incentive to reduce prices. As a consumer, competition among suppliers is a good thing.

Brian_S
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:59 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
With no competition, there's little incentive to reduce prices. As a consumer, competition among suppliers is a good thing.

1. The days of $200 high end video cards are likely behind us. The economy is recovering, and I think ATi has realized they need to make money on their products.

2. Competition is on the way at all levels, so your wish is being granted.
NVIDIA Focus Group
NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Brian_S wrote:
Competition is on the way at all levels, so your wish is being granted.
It's way way way late...

Brian_S
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:43 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Brian_S wrote:
Competition is on the way at all levels, so your wish is being granted.
It's way way way late...

Well JAE, once the cards are for sale that won't really matter at all to the guy shopping for video cards will it? :P

Or do you think there's anyone on the planet who will actually say "These cards with more features and higher performance were late, I think I'll buy slower cards with less features to punish the guys who were late!".

Or do you think it might go more like "Wowee! More performance, more features, buy!".

You might be right but I have a feeling the buying public disagrees, time will tell.
NVIDIA Focus Group
NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm thinking that by the time that the one company finally gets around to putting mid-range DirectX 11 graphics cards on store shelves, a large number of consumers will have purchased the DX11 cards that the other company brought out nine months earlier.

Brian_S
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:40 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I'm thinking that by the time that the one company finally gets around to putting mid-range DirectX 11 graphics cards on store shelves, a large number of consumers will have purchased the DX11 cards that the other company brought out nine months earlier.

You might be right, but I've got a bottle of Patron Silver says at the end of Q3 2010 NV has a 66% desktop marketshare again. You game?
NVIDIA Focus Group

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:13 am

Whew, last edit: Sun Oct 18. :o

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:16 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Whew, last edit: Sun Oct 18. :o

I'm working on it. Just is a bigger update this time for a variety of reasons.. but it should be done this weekend.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:42 am

Preliminary scores:

TechReport
GTX-480      127.30
HD-5870      117.51 
GTX-470      104.23
HD-5850      100.00

AnandTech
GTX-480      128.50
HD-5870      116.66 
GTX-470      103.73
HD-5850      100.00

I am going to be re-basing everything.. which is part of the problem with how long it's taking.
It will be easier to show more accurately for new games if this is done..

Also, based on the input, I am going to be combining results from TR & Anand.
They often use enough different games that it should help.

For example, for the most recent review:

Anand:
Dirt 2
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Crysis Warhead
BattleForge
STALKER Call of Pripyat
Mass Effect 2
Wolfenstein

TechReport:
Dirt 2
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Borderlands
Left 4 Dead 2
Modern Warfare 2
Far Cry 2
Metro 2033

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:11 pm

Alright.. that was more of a mess than even I imaginged.
There is a chance I might change the TR # to be the "real" number and the combined to be the "reference" number.

The issue is I'm going to be including cards, at times, that TR reviews that perhaps Anand doesnt. .. and in some cases the card reviewed at the two sites is clocked differently. (I'm looking your way Nvidia).

Anyways.. during the course of throwing the numbers together I found that the numbers for all the DX11 capable cards were very close between the sites. However, if I used the games from the current reviews on the older cards from both sides.. there is a large difference. The issue is that both sites did a limited number of games (4) with the older cards. So, one single game can alter the number fairly significantly. It seems TR's games influenced the cards in one direction and Anand games influenced them in the other direction.

I could either use the combined scores.. or not use the current review numbers for those cards. Havent decided yet, but I have to work now so I cant finish this till next weekend.

slayah
Gerbil In Training

Sat May 15, 2010 10:45 am

Hi danny e.

I have booked marked this thread since I could ever remember. I was hoping you would be able to finish off your chart as I have been meaning to buy a new computer. I really appreciate your work and would hope you will be able to finish soon so I can find out which video card would suit my computer best.

Thanks for your time.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:28 pm

someone else needs to take this over. I simply do not have time anymore... nor do I foresee that changing anytime soon.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:34 pm

danny e. wrote:
someone else needs to take this over. I simply do not have time anymore... nor do I foresee that changing anytime soon.

I'll do it. I'll try to get this updated within a couple weeks.

And, speaking for the whole of TR, thank you for all your hard work :) *claps hands*
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:50 pm

morphine wrote:
danny e. wrote:

I'll do it. I'll try to get this updated within a couple weeks.

And, speaking for the whole of TR, thank you for all your hard work :) *claps hands*

PM sent with my spreadsheet.

FreiburgJ
Gerbil In Training

Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:18 pm

I personally like NVIDIA better than ATi. Im Still running on a 9800 GTX+ EVGA and it works wonders. Might want to upgrade in the future though. Great Table! A lot of useful information up there ^^
<Gigabyte G41M-Combo S-Series, Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 Overclock 3.2 Ghz, NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 1GB Memory, 8GB Ram, Seagate 1TB, 850W Corsair, Windows Vista Ultimate x64>

ADRENALIN
Gerbil In Training

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:21 pm

time to update :)

billy187
Gerbil In Training

Sun May 22, 2011 2:22 pm

ditto that

ADRENALIN wrote:
time to update :)

kyo
Gerbil In Training

Re: gives u great idea of cards

Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:56 am

mongoosesRawesome wrote:
It'd be cool if you updated the list with a few more graphics cards that TR hasn't benchmarked. That might throw the whole system out of whack though...

There's an HD2900GT and an HD2900PRO that I'm most interested in. FiringSquad did a review of the 8800GT that included both of those cards.

The HD2900GT lists for ~$170 on newegg. The HD2900Pro lists for ~$250. Based on performance, the 2900Pro is not likely to be a great deal, considering the 2900XT gets bested easily by the 8800GT, and costs about the same now. The 2900GT though might be a pretty good value...

From what I can see, the main drawback to this method is that the older reviews are based on lower performing systems, so the older scores will make the newer graphics cards look that much better. It becomes more an assessment of the video cards and the system they were run in, which is still pretty accurate.

what my point to highlight your intention is buy high scores graphic card and now i"ll spoile u go and buy amd 6990 because market gives u those specific card depanding of up to date consoles.today we have xbox360 which have 6950 1gb graphic card result is frount of u. and now we have 6990 thats card can play todays generation and another generation.can play high scores games $709 amd 6990.hope its solve your confution.