Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

HurgyMcGurgyGurg
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Graph Of Client Statistics

Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:07 am

I decided I would keep a record of the daily client stats, in terms of total t flops, users, active, total, etc.

Its been over three months since I decided to start recording, so I figured I would release my first graphs of the data. Here is a (Homemade) graph of total t flops from the various clients over three months, the spike in the middle is due to two and a half weeks where I was not able to record, at least the last month I have data for every 3 or so days.

If there is interest in this I will release further graphs with user data, etc... and maybe use a prettier graph maker. After all Folding@Home is the largest collection of computing power in the world I figured it was worth monitoring. I do it all manually though, no scripts pulling the data, thats the reason there is the absence. Hope you enjoy the graph as a visual guide to the health of folding over all.

It's not much but a start.

Let me know what you think, thank you.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Re: Graph Of Client Statistics

Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:22 pm

Hey Hurvey, thanks for the cool graph! You know gerbils love graphs!! Or is that Giraffs, I never get that straight. :D

Is this total production of all folders in the known galaxy or just your output? :o
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

HurgyMcGurgyGurg
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:06 am

It is the total production of all folders from the client stats page on the folding@home website, just recorded it for a few months out of curiosity.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:13 am

It's interesting that the PS3 output went down as the GPU output went up. I switched off my PS3 when I turned on my GPU2 clients as the PS3 was using too much electricity for far fewer points. Looks like others had the same idea...
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:44 am

david00214 wrote:
It's interesting that the PS3 output went down as the GPU output went up. I switched off my PS3 when I turned on my GPU2 clients as the PS3 was using too much electricity for far fewer points. Looks like others had the same idea...

Wouldn't it be nice if they change the WU mix for the PS3 client to provide the same points production as the GPU2. :P

I might have to get a PS3 if that occurred. You know, for the contribution to science. :wink:
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:48 am

I like how CPU usage hasn't budged at all in the entire time, even with the time break.
(speaking of which, if that was excel, you can have the connection between the points be a broken line for the interval of non-data.)

HurgyMcGurgyGurg
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:29 am

And people wonder why the SMP client doesn't seem to get enough attention...

Its also interesting to note that despite the 1 petaflop difference between the ATI and NVIDIA clients, they both are growing at the same rate.

I'm using free Open Office, I do have excel on another computer though.

themattman
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:31 am

Nice graph. I knew GPU folding helped out more than CPU's but not by that much.
|Intel Q9450 @3.6 1.425v|Lapped TRUE|Gigabyte EP45-UD3P|Mushkin & Patriot 2x2gb DDR2-900|EVGA 8800 GTS 512 750/1873/1000|Antec 900|Corsair 520HX|Asus Xonar DX|
13895 3DMarks

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:07 am

HurgyMcGurgyGurg wrote:
And people wonder why the SMP client doesn't seem to get enough attention...

Its also interesting to note that despite the 1 petaflop difference between the ATI and NVIDIA clients, they both are growing at the same rate.

I'm using free Open Office, I do have excel on another computer though.

Before GPU, SMP was a huge points boost over non-SMP.