Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Brian_S
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Yowza! GTX360 and GTX380 benches!

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:41 pm

The wait continues- this slide is a fake, per NVIDIA. :(

http://www.guru3d.com/news/geforce-gtx-360-and-380-benchmarks/

Looks like good news for gamers if nV's single core solution is besting ATi's dual core. If these benches are valid it should mean:

A. Lower prices on the the very good 58XX cards, good for gamers.
B. For more money (most likely) higher performance and more features for GTX3XX gamers.

Everybody wins. :D
Last edited by Brian_S on Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NVIDIA Focus Group
NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

BoBzeBuilder
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Yowza! GTX360 and GTX380 benches!

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:44 pm

A GTX360 beating the 5970? I'll believe that when I see it. Thank you very much. For now, those benches mean nothing.
i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz / Cooler Master V8 / Asus P8P67 Evo / 8GB G.skill DDR3-1600 / Zotac GTX 780 3GB / Seasonic S12-650 / Samsung 850pro 256GB SSD / Corsair 600T Graphite / those cheap 1440p Korean monitors

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:50 pm

I will not be surprised if these cards are beasts but of course I'll wait until real reviews. At the same time however I really don't care how these cards perform. The pricing will likely be proportional to the performance and there's no way I'm buying a $400++ graphics card in this day and age. If NV doesn't move Fermi architecture downmarket, and given some 300 series renaming that's already taken place that might be a good possibility, they might as well not release anything as far as I'm concerned.

ReAp3r-G
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:59 pm

Ditto, will wait until real world reviews are out. Those are just projected performance numbers and from NVIDIA themselves. It's no surprise they're trying to prop themselves by claiming such performance figures against ATI's top dog.

But you're right about one thing though, if it's indeed true (about the performance numbers) then everybody should get a piece of the proverbial pie :)
Intel C2Q Q8300 2.5GHz | Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R | 8GB DDR2 800 | MSI ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB | AOpen G325 Aeolus

PSN ID: MentalReaper
Steam ID: dstrb3d

Brian_S
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:02 pm

BoBzeBuilder wrote:
A GTX360 beating the 5970? I'll believe that when I see it. Thank you very much. For now, those benches mean nothing.

Rumor has it the dual GPU Fermi is hot on the heels of these cards as well:

http://vr-zone.com/forums/519373/gf100-will-be-fastest-gpu-dual-gpu-fermi-is-coming-.html

Some other surprises yet to be revealed as well- good times ahead.
NVIDIA Focus Group
NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:03 pm

950$ graphics card? :wink:
I bet it will match those silly people who buy intel extremes just fine
I don't think these benchmarks are legit though
if at all, they are R&D numbers

Brian_S
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:14 pm

ReAp3r-G wrote:
Ditto, will wait until real world reviews are out. Those are just projected performance numbers and from NVIDIA themselves. It's no surprise they're trying to prop themselves by claiming such performance figures against ATI's top dog.

But you're right about one thing though, if it's indeed true (about the performance numbers) then everybody should get a piece of the proverbial pie :)

NVIDIA (and ATi for that matter) doesn't "lie" in their PR slides, they'll pick games/spots/settings that show their products in a good light I'm sure but I don't believe they "lie". If these slides are real (look real to me- I sent'em an email asking why the heck I haven't seen them yet) I'd guess we can expect comparable performance between GTX380 and HD5970 at least.

And it will be good news for all- the level of performance the ATi cards offer is great- getting thm cheap will be a good bargain.
NVIDIA Focus Group

Brian_S
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:30 pm

potatochobit wrote:
950$ graphics card? :wink:
I bet it will match those silly people who buy intel extremes just fine
I don't think these benchmarks are legit though

Wishful guess on your part? :wink:
NVIDIA Focus Group

Game_boy
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:48 pm

The Fermi Tesla has a TDP of 225W. Without crippling performance, how can they even produce a dual GPU Fermi card (given desktop clocks are the same or higher than Tesla) and get it under 300W [ATX spec limit, which the 5970 had to be under too]?

As for the benches, they must be fake:

Compare: http://www.geeks3d.com/public/jegx/2...rmance-big.jpg

- The fonts for the card names and settings are standard Windows fonts. Most companies do not do this. Nvidia's actual slides have much more antialiased text than that.
- The layout and colourscheme is almost identical to a GTX200 slide (GTX200 Gaming Beyond) with 200 as 300. Using the exact same slogan for both wouldn't be appropriate for a revolutionary new architecture.
- What's with two different greens being used in each bar? Unless it was copied from an existing slide with bars joined together. The red bars aren't like this - inconsistency?
- The vertical numbers are not aligned with their bars, whereas the GTX200 slide's are. If the same format was used then the numbers should be aligned the same.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:30 pm

potatochobit wrote:

At least the bars are numbered, and that's a start.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:36 pm

Game_boy wrote:
- What's with two different greens being used in each bar? Unless it was copied from an existing slide with bars joined together. The red bars aren't like this - inconsistency?

Precisely. It makes nVidia's bars look shinier. That's the point.

Brian_S
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:57 pm

BAD NEWS- slide is a fake. (straight from NVIDIA, this is not leaked)
NVIDIA Focus Group

w00tstock
Gerbil

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Yeah, these slides seemed a reach even for a marketing team... That said, come on we need competition now!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:41 pm

Brian_S wrote:

That's too bad. Imminent production of the 300s with those stats could have put a hurt on the exorbitant prices out there right now.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Fighterpilot
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:51 pm

LOLz at Folk Ass group cheerleaders for grasping at any straw that will save them from the Red Monster.
Even for you that was lame Brian.
Hopefully "Infermi"(to be released sometime next year) will be competitive with this year's ATi high end cards...
I hear the A2 spin resulted in a "broken" tesselator.....have they managed to put Humpty together again yet? :-?

Brian_S
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:18 pm

Fighterpilot wrote:
LOLz at Folk Ass group cheerleaders for grasping at any straw that will save them from the Red Monster.
Hopefully "Infermi"(to be released sometime next year) will be competitive with this year's ATi high end cards... :wink:

LOLz at people who try to start forum flame wars about video cards, your post would be lame for anyone. :roll:
NVIDIA Focus Group

Brian_S
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:19 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
Brian_S wrote:

That's too bad. Imminent production of the 300s with those stats could have put a hurt on the exorbitant prices out there right now.

Yep, would have been a win/win, for sure.
NVIDIA Focus Group

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:34 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:

Doubt it. The prices won't change until supply increases or the demand would lower to a point where current supply met it. I doubt either of those would happen with the launch of a ultra expensive Nvidia part. This thing wouldn't have been near HD5870/5850 prices, more like HD5970 prices.

morphine
TR Staff

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:27 pm

Brian_S wrote:
Fighterpilot wrote:
Hopefully "Infermi"(to be released sometime next year) will be competitive with this year's ATi high end cards... :wink:

LOLz at people who try to start forum flame wars about video cards, your post would be lame for anyone. :roll:

Brian_S/Fighterpilot: keep the civility level up, please.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:36 pm

Fighterpilot wrote:
Hopefully "Infermi"(to be released sometime next year) will be competitive with this year's ATi high end cards...
I hear the A2 spin resulted in a "broken" tesselator.....have they managed to put Humpty together again yet? :-?

Fighter Pilot Charlie's making a strafing run on TR? :lol:

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:24 pm

Brian_S wrote:
Fighterpilot wrote:

LOLz to the both of yaz!
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Fighterpilot

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:43 am

Brian_S wrote:
Fighterpilot wrote:

Guess you shouldn't have wasted all that anti-ATi trolling at Rage3D then huh :wink:

SecretSquirrel

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:51 am

Locking to avoid further degeneration.

--SS